Monday, April 14, 2008

Crosswalks and Revolving Doors



I just returned from Chi-town. My first time there. Actually, it was my first time in a big city period. What a different world! I've always been a Florida girl- never had I had to deal with revolving doors, crosswalks, or public transportation- other than the occasional cab I took home when I had too many Myers and Diet Coke.

Being a Florida girl the cold was a huge shock to my system. But cold air and all... I fell in LOVE with the city. Everything about it - the old buildings, the varying heights, sights, textures and sounds and of course the beautiful and oh - so- fashionable people.

The sidewalks were crammed with pedestrians and the streets were jammed with cabs . I would think that it must be so easy to meet people- even to just converse for a minute or two- (comment on the weather or traffic)

For those who have never been to Naples FL- here is how it compares:

Chicago- Must walk and/or take public transportation
Naples- Must own a car- we only have one city bus whose stops are few and far between

Chicago- Endless shopping
Naples- Coastland Center Mall

Chicago- Sears Tower
Naples- Naples Pier

Chicago- Bumping Nightlife- bars and clubs open till 4am
Naples- 2 clubs that close at 2am

Chicago- FREEZING COLD WEATHER!
Naples- Cold = 75 degrees

I have to admit- having the beach almost makes up for all the other things Naples lacks. It truly is paradise- but I do plan on visiting the Windy City again... only this time it will be in the summer.

No comments: