Thursday, February 26, 2009

Amelie

Four years later... I finally took Dustin’s advice and rented Amelie. What a fantastic movie! Very cute- very much my style.

PLOT: The title character is a single waitress who decides to help other lonely people fix their lives. Her widowed father yearns to travel but won't, so to inspire the old man she sends his garden gnome on a tour of the world; with whispered gossip, she brings together two cranky regulars at her café; she reverses the doorknobs and reprograms the speed dial of a grocer who's mean to his assistant. Gradually she realizes her own life needs fixing, and a chance meeting leads to her most elaborate stratagem of all. This is a deeply wonderful movie, an illuminating mix of magic and pragmatism.

There is so much symbolism that I want to know more! Or at least have someone to discuss it with. I have so many questions:

1. Why is everything red and green? What does it mean?
2. What do the few random blue objects represent?
3. Was this how the traveling gnome got started?
4. What did the Tour de France mean?
5. What did the horse mean?
6. I was so lost on the videos she sent to the glass man- were they so he could get a peek into her life?
7. What did Princess Di symbolize?

If anybody out there cares to discuss this with me- please let me know!
amelie Pictures, Images and Photos


No comments: